Experiment 3: Leaves prepare starch during photosynthesis
Study that leaves prepare starch by the process of photosynthesis
- Spirit (Absolute alcohol)
- Test tubes
- Iodine solution
- Insert a leaf into a test tube gently
- Pour spirit into the test tube so that the leaf completely dips in it
- Mildly heat the test tube using test tube holder till the spirit becomes green in colour and the leaf becomes colourless
- Take out the leaf carefully from the test tube and wash it with water
- Place it in another test tube and add a few drops of iodine solution. note the change in color of iodine solution
- As we add iodine solution on the colourless leaf, it turns blue-black.
- When we boil the leaves in spirit they become colourless because chlorophyll pigments leach out.
- Leaves contain starch which gives blue-black colour with iodine solution.
- Starch is synthesised in the green leaves in the presence of sunlight by the process of photosynthesis.
- Starch gets stored in leaves or gets transported to other parts of the plant